Enhance®Fitness, a low-cost, evidence-based group exercise program, helps older adults at all levels of fitness become more active, energized, and empowered to sustain independent lives. A full hour of fun, EnhanceFitness focuses on dynamic cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility — everything older adults need to maintain health and function as they age. In a typical class, participants will experience:
- Certified instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
- A 5-minute warm-up followed by 20-minute aerobics workout that gets participants moving, or a walking workout to lively music that the class chooses
- A 5-minute cool-down
- A 20-minute strength training workout with soft ankle and wrist weights (0 up to 20 pounds)
- A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
- Balance exercises throughout the class
- Lots of opportunities for participants to make new friends and acquaintances
Each class may include up to 25 participants. Depending on the class, participants may either be amongst peers of their own level of fitness or a group of various fitness levels from the frail to the more fit older adult.
Enhance®Fitness classes do not require any special or expensive equipment. A certified instructor, who has completed the Enhance®Fitness training, will safely lead the class through an hour of dynamic exercises at a pace that’s right for the participants.
Coastal Community Center, 521 Main Street, Damariscotta
Mondays and Friday, 10:30 a.m.
Wednesday, 10:45 a.m.
Kennebec Valley YMCA (Augusta and Manchester)
For more information on pricing, class locations, times and dates, call 622-9622, ext 220.
YMCA of Greater Waterville Area, 126 North Street, Waterville
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10-11:30 a.m.
For more information or to register, call 873-0684.
For more information, contact Jennifer Fortin at 207-620-1657 or mailto:[email protected]