Use Maine 1040 Form to apply for Tax and Rent Refund

Use Maine State 1040 Form to apply for your Tax and Rent Refund

Beginning in January 2014, the process for applying for your Maine Property Tax and Rent Refund (also known as the Circuit Breaker Program) will be to apply on your Maine Individual Income Tax Form 1040ME along with the Property Tax Fairness Credit worksheet.  These forms will determine who is eligible for a refund, and the amount of the refund. Qualified Maine residents can get as much as $300 ($400 if 70 years of age or older).

Maine Revenue Service has copies of these forms and can help people to complete the forms over the phone at 207-626-8475 weekdays 8:00am – 5:00pm.  Or you can visit Maine Revenue Services at 51 Commerce Drive, Augusta, ME 04330, weekdays 8:00am – 4:30pm. 

By appointment only, Spectrum Generations can provide help to complete forms at some of their local community centers.  Call 1-800-639-1553 to be connected with your local center for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Here is the list from Maine Revenue Services of who will be eligible to apply:

  1. You were Maine residents during any part of the tax year;
  2. You owned or rented a home in Maine during any part of the tax year and lived in that home during the year;
  3. Had Maine adjusted gross income of not more than $40,000; and
  4. Paid property tax on a home in Maine during the tax year that was more than 10% of Maine adjusted gross income, or paid rent to live in a home or apartment in Maine during the tax year that was more than 40% of Maine adjusted gross income.

Where can applicants get Form 1040ME after January 1, 2014?  Forms can be downloaded from the Maine Revenue Services web site at or by calling 207-624-7894 to request that a form be mailed.  Those who filed a Circuitbreaker application on or after August 1, 2012, will receive by mail a Form 1040ME booklet at the end of this year, even if they did not file Form 1040ME last year.